Saturday, February 16, 2013

Lydia "Jane Austen" King

 Lydia has been thoroughly enjoying Intermediate school, and her class recently did a really cute activity.  Each student had to research a famous person, write and memorize a paragraph about them, then participate in a "wax museum."  They stood like statues while parents and other students walked down the red carpet and pushed the "play" buttons on the floor.  When their buttons were pushed, they had to "come alive" and recite their paragraph. 

Imagine how excited I was when Lydia (all on her own) announced that she was researching Jane Austen!  We were scrambling to find a dress, and luckily mom mailed this one (Aunt Mary Anne's old wedding dress from the 70's--thanks, Aunt Mary Anne!) just in time.  It was perfect!  And Lydia is almost tall enough to fit into it.  Scary!  She slept in hot rollers and we did her hair up in Regency fashion.  It was so fun!  She did a great job.

This is the timeline poster she made--most of the students printed off pictures, but Lydia drew her own.
 Here is the paragraph she wrote & recited (I couldn't get the video to upload):
 She was fantastic!  Her friend to the right was Anne Frank, and the boy behind her in the first picture was Walt Disney.  I wish I hadn't been wrestling Gabe & Evie so I could have listened to all of them!
 The next week, Lydia was invited to a birthday party for a new friend.  I have had to come to terms with the fact that Lydia is indeed growing up.  Her clothing style has matured, she's getting taller and longer and her feet have grown like crazy.  And this particular birthday party consisted of going out to dinner with her friends and getting their hair done at the local hair school.  She came home with this lovely updo:
 She has had to stress lately about all of her friends liking boys and having boys ask them to be their Valentine (I swear, we never had anything like that when I was her age--or even older!). She is such a good girl and tries so hard to do what's right and to deal well with all the emotions of being a pre-teen.  We're very blessed to have her as the oldest to guide our other kids! They all love her and look up to her so much, and luckily she hasn't grown to old to enjoy playing with them.  We went up to her room the other day to find her playing "Scribblish" with them in her room--they were all drawing pictures, writing stories, and cracking up.  Special girl!  It's just a bonus for her momma that she's starting to appreciate Jane Austen. :)

3 comments:

Momma Kaye said...

This is a treasured post! I want to share it with all of the students going to Jane Austen's house in Chawton this year. They need to do a little research like Lyida, so they will appreciate it! Isn't her hair beautiful? Just like her Momma's.

Bethany L. said...

Oh Jess, what a little clone you've made! She loss absolutely beautiful in her Jane Austen get up. :) tell her I'm so proud of her and what a lovely girl she is! And what a fun party to get to go to! :) I wouldn't go back to the days of preteen "going out" drama for anything! {you are so not old enough to have a teenager btw}

Marilyn said...

She is gorgeous in that dress! But she can't be so old! When did this happen?!? I don't approve.