Sunday, May 15, 2011

I'm so glad when Daddy . . . takes the boys camping!

I know why they came up with the Fathers' and Sons' camp-out--so the mothers and daughters could have a break from these sweet masculine spirits!  All week long Jacob and Gabe were counting down the days until Friday, while Seth was gearing himself up for a crazy weekend.  The morning before the camp-out, Gabe crashed his little scooter in the driveway and came in crying with a big ugly scrape.  After a few minutes he started screaming that it hurt so bad, and he wouldn't straighten his leg out or walk on it.  I called Seth and he came home from work to run Gabe to the Instacare, where they x-rayed him and put a temporary cast on his leg.  They called us back after a few hours and said nothing was broken, but to keep the cast on just in case.

Gabe woke up from a nap screaming for us to take it off, and we did--we felt like he would be ok   He wouldn't walk, so I decided to keep him home.  But when he heard he might miss the camp-out, he said, "Mommy, I wanna go camping!  I want my camping pants on!!!"  He had been in shorts all day.  I put them on, and miraculously he was healed!  He hopped right up and ran out to the truck and didn't have any more problems.  The little turkey--I think it was seeing the big scrape that had him so paranoid . . .
There are some things that are better kept secret from Mommy--like the fact that my boys camped on a cliff . . . Apparently the whole ward did, but still.
 They camped and hiked somewhere between Zion's, Kolob, and Pine Valley.
This is my favorite--Gabe has started "shooting" arrows--this is him loading up his "bow."  One finger is the bow and the other is an arrow.  I think they had a great time tossing rocks off of the cliffs.
 Don't we live in a beautiful place?

The girls and I had a great movie night in perfect peace--Evie hardly cried at all without Gabe to smother her to death!  But we were glad when our boys came home.  I don't think poor Seth slept a wink!

4 comments:

Bethany L. said...

Cute! They had our Father and Sons camp out this weekend too. Jon wanted to take Ezra, but I said no. :) I'm such a stick in the mud. Then Jon wanted to take Lila and dress her up as a boy... That didn't happen either.

Marilyn said...

That looks so fun! In the abstract, of course :) Not being able to sleep is the worst. I had to spend a couple nights at YW camp last year, and we had cabins and everything, totally non -roughing it, but I had to sleep with just a sleeping bag and mattress pad on a wood slat, and it was horrible! I tossed and turned all night! It was a tangible reminder that really am getting older and my body knows it :(

Swile

Marilyn said...

P.s. June, yes, and also Juni. Is it okay tha I use your blog as my own personal message board? It's just that. Love getting your comments so much, I like to respond to them all. I greatly esteem you. I like you.

Marilyn said...

Oh heavens. It's just that _I_ like getting your comments, I meant to say. "Tha" however, I totally meant to type. A fine old Anglo-Saxon word, tha.