Sunday, November 4, 2012

"Something there is that doesn't love a wall"--probably the cost.

 We love this new neighborhood!  People have been so kind, and we're hoping there's truth to the adage, "Good fences make good neigbors," because our most recent adventure has been the addition of a new, strong, very expensive wall.
With neighbors on all sides putting walls in, it was cheaper in the long run to build it now.  Although things are going to be super-tight for the next while, I'm really glad we have the wall.  It will be so nice to be able to get started on a backyard.  We love how big the yard is!  
The kids have spent hours watching the workers build various houses behind us.  Gabe has been asking me how old he has to be before he can be a worker and build walls.  We asked the workers themselves, and they just laughed and said, "Stay in school, kid--that's the best advice we can give you."  It was great motivation--I told Gabe he had to learn to read before he can be a worker, so he has grudgingly agreed to start reading lessons. :)
Evie has also enjoyed watching!

I'll put up a picture when the wall is finished--we've had a bit of a kerfuffle with the city permits, so the last little bit will be completed this week.  Can't wait!

2 comments:

Lyd Stew said...

That fence quote was in Strawberry Girl that I just finished reading. I certainly hope it holds true for your sake. :) I've got Ella singing "Don't fence me in..." running through my head right now. :)

Momma Kaye said...

Wow! That is a huge backyard. How great for the kids. That little Evie is looking so grown up these days.