Sunday, October 12, 2008

Easy Burdens

There's a story I love in the Book of Mormon that has recently taken on new meaning for me. Alma and his people had just been captured by Lamanites and put under Amulon's rule. He wouldn't allow them to pray, but they prayed in their hearts. The Lord promised them this beautiful blessing in Mosiah 24:14-15:

"And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs . . . that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.

There have been moments since Gabriel's birth and clubfoot diagnosis when I have felt very discouraged (i.e. when Jacob broke his arm). But then after praying for help, I have felt the immediate fulfillment of this blessing, just like Alma's people:

"And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord."

This is just a thank you to all you who have eased our family's burdens and made them light. My good friend Abi Collins (thank you Abi!!! and John for watching the kids for her . . .) drove me to Gabe's appointment. It was such a blast! We even ended up getting "glitter toes" done by a friend of hers on the way home. Thanks to Mikel who watched my crazy kids back here in St. George! Thanks to Debbie Morley, who drove me a few weeks ago, Michelle, her daughter, who rode home with me; Verle, my cousin, who drove me home 2 trips ago and let me sleep the whole way; Danielle Jones & Elsa Picklesimer, who watched Jacob & Eleni two different weeks, and Danielle & Kathie who lent me their cell phones for different trips. Thanks to Aunt Judy, who put up 2 boxes of peaches for me, since I never would have gotten around to doing it. Thanks to my wonderful moms who met me last weekend and watched Lyd & Ellers for me. And thanks to Seth, who held down and cleaned the fort each evening I was gone. And especially I need to thank my heavenly Father, who has blessed all of this to pass much more quickly than I expected.
Gabriel had his surgery this past Friday. I'll post pictures later--I don't have the camera. The surgery was only 5 minutes long, and he hardly cried, the doctor said. It is incredible how much his little foot has stretched since then! He needs one more cast next week, then has a break for a week and (HALLELUJAH) gets the last cast off on Halloween! Jacob gets his off the day before. Can I just say, I am going to strip those boys down and give them one enormous bath--Jacob especially beginneth to stink.
Grandma Yaya (Elaine) and Grandma Kaye
Jacob & Ellers in clean clothes with their hair done--it's so much easier to love them when they look nice! :) And this is Lyd's school picture (yes, I know it's probably copyrighted).

10 comments:

Marilyn said...

Your little Gabe is SO CUTE!!! I just want to hug him. And I'm so glad he will be getting his last cast off soon--and Jacob too. That must have been so stressful--good for you for having such a good attitude about it. :) Hope everything else is going well. I miss you.

Lyd Stew said...

Oh My Sweet Sis! You are just an angel- what an amazing outlook and perspective you have on everything. All I know is that little guy came to the right home. What a good mom he has! I have never once heard you complain about any of this- and then just to go on and on about how blessed you have been and thank yous to everyone. You ard wants to bless you- someone so grateful deserves it! I love you so much- we fasted for your boys! I hope everything will go well. Your beautiful children- I just need to see them and give them loves!

lisa h. said...

i can't believe how fast it will be fixed! that is amazing. hopefully there won't be anymore medical needs for a while! what a rough start with a new baby. he looks so snuggly!

Annabanana said...

I am so glad that his little foot is healing so quickly. I am pretty sure that I would have completely lost it if I had two children in casts at the same time. What a great attitude you have. I'm glad they will both have their casts removed so soon.

Mickel said...

Love the blog! You have such a darling family. Your positive attitude amidst the difficult times you've been having is amazing. I loved having your kids for the day. They are sweethearts. Call me anytime. Send me an e-mail at shaunsampson@skyviewmail.com and I'll send you an invite to my blog.

aunt choody said...

I am DYING to hold my new nephew!

Melissa said...

Jessica,

It was just so good to see you last night. It had been far too long. Gabe was even better looking in person. I must apologize for being somewhat disingenuous. I'm pretty sure I remember that song, and I can certainly get you the lyrics or chords. You name it, it's yours. I'm pleased you remembered. Let's try to get together again sometime if life and the fates permit.

Cassie and Mark said...

Aren't friends and family great! You are a great example of how to look at trials positively and grow from them. Hang in there!

Jean said...

Love you Jessica (and Seth). I'm going to bookmark your site and check back in for more King family updates. How is it that your kids look exactly like both of you???

Momma Kaye said...

Thanks for your good example, Jessica. You are always teaching us about the importance of a good attitude through trials. We love you! Give that little Gab a squeeze from Grandma & Grandpa!