Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I Love to See the Temple

On our way up to Idaho for Christmas, we spent a couple of nights with Seth's wonderful grandma in Salt Lake City. We had an appointment for Gabriel (who is doing very well--only 6 more weeks of full-time brace-wearing!) at Primary Children's, and we decided to make an evening trip to Temple Square, since we've never taken the kids there before.
Jacob couldn't get enough of "Trax" (he thinks every train has a name like on Thomas the Engine). We had decided to take the Utah Trax from Murray to Temple Square. It was fun for all of us, aside from the cold, because Jacob kept exclaiming every time he could see the tracks or went under an overpass; "A TUNNEL, MOMMY!!!!!
We tend to visualize idyllic family outings in which our kids behave, are in raptures over the sites, and are smiling, beautiful magazine-cover children. No, it was nothing like that. From the get-go the kids were starving, freezing, and tired. When we reached the Cristus statue, Eleni had a meltdown and cried and screamed, "I wann go HOOOME!" But Temple Square was truly magnificent, and hopefully time plus trial will equal humor for the rest of it. Besides, they look happy enough in the pictures, right?



7 comments:

Cassie and Mark said...

I love temple square around Christmas time! When we went there for a visit in October I too imagined it to be perfect and heart warming for our children, but reality set in and we ended up cutting our tour short. I think the effort is what counts though.

Marilyn said...

Ah. This is why, in spite of living _right here_, we have not yet taken the kids to see the lights at Temple Square. They are beautiful, though. One of these years we'll do it.

lisa h. said...

the pics look like it was the magazine version!

i think i have a pic of evan in nauvoo screaming in a pic...

Annabanana said...

Your posts are a;ways so funny...We enjoyed Temple Square without Ethan this year. But I couldn't help but think he wold have love all of the lights. He probably would have screamed that he was hungry and cold too....

abi said...

Oh that is so fun. We did it once with Zane - only it wasn't late enough - so all the lights hadn't turned on yet. He definitely was all about Trax - and still is. I always envision nice family outings, and they NEVER turn out that way. Wouldn't it be so much better if we just didn't have expectations to begin with?! I have a serious hard time with that one...

Trisha said...

Hey do you know how close we live to the Murray Trax??? So close! Next time give us a call...we would love to see you guys! We didn't even take our boys this year to see the lights and we are close. Lame!

Mickel said...

You guys are so tough! I suggested to Shaun that we take the kids to Temple Square when we were up north in December. It took him about 1/2 a second to reply, "No way, too many people, too cold." I think he's missing the point.