We have discovered a new family favorite--Chopped! I don't know if you've seen the actual show on Food Network, but I discovered it in the hospital with Evie, and Lydia and Seth soon became fans.
For Family Home Evening a few weeks ago, we decided to try it at home--boys vs. girls. Or, as Jacob says, the boys versed the girls. (Mom, is that an actual verb?)
| Our three ingredients were limes, strawberries, and Fruit Loops--courtesy of Helping Hands. |
Our judges, Gabe and Ellie. They were pretty excited to be forced to eat all this food, as you can tell! :)
Chopped is, in a nutshell, a competition where chefs compete to make a dish using 3 or 4 specific ingredients in a thirty-minute time frame. They can make whatever they like, and they are critiqued on creativity and flavor, etc. I didn't get pictures of our main dish round, but we had to compete using green beans, potatoes, and onions. The girls won that round because we added bacon to the dish, one of Eleni's favorites!
But the boys dominated in the dessert round, mostly because they dipped their strawberries in chocolate--and Eleni liked the serving size!
Personally, I think the girls' dish was very tasteful--lime fruit dip and strawberries with crushed Fruit Loops sprinkled on top. Mmmm!
6 comments:
You are such a fun family! What a great idea when the cupboard is bare! I've heard of doing that when your garden is producing-- using all of your produce to make a meal.
I think the proper verb is 'Verses.'
Ok- you are the BEST mom and dad ever!!! That sounds like so much fun. I actually thought it would be fun to play that at our family reunion, but we have a serious lack of kitchen facilities and supplies. Doug and I played it once- he did awesome, but got a little thrown by the coconut milk. :) It is one of our favorite shows around her. Their new season has the judges competing- it has been really good! Wish I'd been a judge. You guys are so creative- perfect number of competitors!
Well, aren't you guys so much fun! I'm liking this idea!
My boys say "versed" all the time. They also say, "Mom, will you 'verse' me at Monopoly?" We also enjoy "Chopped." It looks like you guys had a great time. We might have to try that sometime.
Oh my gosh, i will have to do this!! We just started to watch that show. What a fun idea!
This looks super fun. I've never heard of "chopped", but our YW did something they called "iron chef" recently that sounds similar. My kids would love something like this (well, the older ones, anyway)
Post a Comment