Sunday, May 29, 2011

Daughter of a Utah Pioneer

During their fourth grade year, Lydia's school holds a special contest, sponsored by the Sons of the Utah Pioneers.  They are asked to write an essay on an ancestor, and Lydia chose my mother's father, Grandpa Juan Whiting, who passed away December 2008.  She wrote the essay by herself--I helped her only with information about Grandpa. Here it is:


MY GREAT-GRANDPA JUAN
            My great-grandpa Juan Whiting was a very nice person.  When my grandma was little, he would always make the bed and wash the dishes after Sunday dinner to make it easier for my great-grandma.  He also loves snakes.  He would be sad if he knew you had ever killed one.  He always had such a wonderful sense of humor.  One time my great-grandma couldn’t find the dustpan, so she used a playing card instead.  Then my great-grandpa came up and said, “Oh, would you like me to get you a postage stamp?”
            He served in the Navy Reserves in World War II and flew planes off an aircraft carrier called the U.S.S. Intrepid, although he never actually fought in the war because it ended right as he got there.  On his day off, his boat sailed into Japan and he met a nice Japanese family who sold him a kimono.
            He served three missions in Africa—one when he was younger and two with his wife. I don’t think I’ve met anyone else who has served that many. He loved everything about Africa: the plants, the animals, and the people. That is probably why he wanted to go back so much.
            Grandpa taught school and was a farmer too. He built lots of cool things, like an awesome zip line and a tennis court for his kids. He also loved to do puzzles and was always in the middle of working on them.  In fact, there was never a time that there wasn’t a puzzle on the table when I visited him.  Even after his funeral, I noticed a puzzle still sitting out.
            My Grandpa Juan was very kind to me.  He always had a smile on his face.  His birthday happened to be really close to mine.  I only knew him for a few years, but all the memories I had of him are good ones.  If you had met him you would have liked him too.  I love my Grandpa Juan.
______________
Lydia turned out to be one of five students whose essay won!  Each received a certificate (Lydia's said "Lydia King Sullivan"--a mix-up, somehow, because her teacher's name is Miss Sullivan :) and twenty gold dollar coins!  It was a surprise--the sweet SUP gentlemen told me to come and watch, but not to tell her, so I brought the kids to Lyd's school to see her receive the award.  She was thrilled!  The two little girls next to her are two of her best friends in school, Maddi & Aubrey.

3 comments:

Bethany L. said...

This made me cry. :) (a characteristic Grandpa Juan passed on to me) I'm so proud of Lydia Natalie! She is getting so grown up!

Sara Packer said...

She did a wonderful job! She is becoming quite the beauty. By the way, thanks for always commenting on my blog. Sometimes I feel like you are the only one who reads it.

Marilyn said...

I remember Grandpa Juan. I liked him. And I especially liked the story about the card and the stamp. :). Great writing, Lydia!