After so many blessings that have come our way this year, the highlight was when we welcomed this precious little baby into our lives. You would think that after five children I would be old hat at delivering babies, but I have to admit that I was very nervous. There were some complications after Evie's birth, and I worried something worse might happen. But thanks to Seth's priesthood blessing and many prayers in my behalf from my sweet children, this labor and delivery was by far my quickest and easiest. I felt so incredibly blessed!
| This is the sign that greeted us when we arrived home from the hospital-- cute Eleni was so excited to meet her new little sister! |
For the first time, my water broke the night before I delivered, and when I went to my doctor's appointment the next morning, he recommended that I come to the hospital right away. A sweet neighbor offered to watch the kids, and we headed in. I had to be on antibiotics for 4 hours, so we waited as I started on pitocin. I felt a definite difference this time--I just knew my body was working more quickly, and I could tell she was going to come as soon as she could--she was ready! I knew there were many people praying for me and helping me, both here and on the other side of the veil. The labor (yes, it still hurt!) seemed to be not quite as intense as it has in the past.
Our precious Lizzie Beth King was 7 lbs 7 oz and 20 inches long. She has just a skiff of hair, and she is the sweetest baby in the world! We went to the hospital with two or three names, and none of them fit her. The kids have been calling her "Abi" for months, but we all agreed when we met her that that just wasn't her name.
Later that night, over a romantic hospital dinner (why is post-delivery food so delicious? It is by far my favorite part of the experience, other than the birth of the baby, of course :), Seth and I kicked around all the names we have liked. After searching all kinds of names on babynames.com on his Ipod, he typed in "Lizzie," and I suddenly knew that was her name.
As you may know from the names we chose for our other children, name meanings hold a lot of weight for Seth. He loves "powerful names," and when he found out that Lizzie (along with Beth and Elizabeth) means "God is my oath," he felt good about it too. We both feel a desire to recommit to live worthy of the blessings we have received, to fulfill our temple covenants, and to serve more.
Side Note: Those of you who know me probably know why I was excited about the name--Lizzie Bennet from Pride & Prejudice, Lizzie Hexam from Our Mutual Friend, etc.--I have wanted an "Elizabeth" for years, but Seth put his foot down--he does not like that name. However, Lizzie just felt right, and as we tried it with all kinds of middle names, Lizzie Beth seemed perfect, a tribute to my beautiful, wonderful little sister. (And a sneaky way to almost get an Elizabeth :)
Lizzie is the sweetest, most patient little baby! I realize this is probably just the newborn, sleeps-a-lot stage, but she has been as near-perfect as can be (other than the first night home, when she wouldn't sleep until 4 am . . . that was a bit tough). She has been sleeping really well, only waking up once to eat, and going right back down. She has a very calm spirit--very patient with her siblings, who are loving her to death:
The day after we got home, Seth's priests stopped by to bring us cookies. Seth gave them all a chance to hold her--it was priceless!
There is something truly remarkable about a new baby that connects us with our Heavenly Father. Look at the joy a baby can bring to a bunch of crazy teenage boys! And the sweet calm you can see in my other kids feel as they hold her or lay by her. I am so grateful for the privilege of joining with our Father in Heaven to provide a body and a life for one of His precious spirits.
Welcome, Lizzie Beth!
4 comments:
Congratulations! She is beautiful... a wonderful addition to your already beautiful family.
What a beautiful family! There is nothing sweeter that a fresh from heaven baby coming to a home where she is loved, and you can surely see that taking place. Wonderful! I love the picture of all of you gathered on the hospital bed- what a treasure that will be to her!
Oh, I miss that little Evie Jane! That photo of her on the hospital bed is a treasure! What a precious post, Jess. Thanks for sharing your testimony. Lizzie is a very special little girl, and I believe she will live up to her name.
YAY! Congrats! She is beautiful and lucky to come to such a special family!
Post a Comment