At the risk of being quite embarrassed by the following picture of myself, I would like to share one of our ideas with you--one that actually worked . . .
With the birth of each child, I have watched our laundry pile grow exponentially. I dump loads of clean, unfolded laundry on my bed, my reasoning being that I will be more likely to fold it because I need to sleep there at night. But it doesn't work--we usually end up putting piles around the floor in my room and sleeping amid the towels and shirts. One day I hauled the loads out into the living room and hollered for the kids to gather to play "Laundry Volcano" (I am a firm believer in Mary Poppins' philosophy that if you name a job something fun, it seems more fun . . . ).
How to play Laundry Volcano, as described by my kids:
1. Get lots of laundry.
2. Choose where people's piles go. It helps to put something of theirs in each spot.
3. Choose a person to throw the laundry (it's usually Mommy because she's the tallest).
4. The Volcano Person (i.e. Mommy) throws the laundry up into the sky. It's the lava.
5. The kids catch the lava and put it in whose ever pile it goes. It helps if Mommy throws it high and you grab it out of the air.
6. At the end is folding. Everybody folds their own pile. (Gabe folds no pile--he helps fold the washcloths)
7. Put away your own laundry as fast as you can.
8. Mommy folds the extra stuff.
5 comments:
Wow. We are totally sisters because I always put my laundry on our bed for the same reason. However, I'll have to log this idea in my mental files because for now, I don't know how helpful Lila would be. She'd probably move things from one pile to the other. Or start throwing it in the air herself....hopeless
Such a great "button land" sort of idea.
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!! I will be doing this with my next massive batch. (if only you has posted sooner!)
De-lightful!! I love it. My kids would love it. We're totally doing this.
Wv: rescu. 'twould seem your friend, is in distress. To the rescu!
I just wanted to report that we tried this with my most recent MOUND of laundry for the week and it worked beautifully!!! WHY HAVE I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT BEFORE? Separating the clothes before I fold- you smart mother. It was fun enough to pass for a "family night activity" and that is saying something. Just wanted to thank you for making my life just a little easier!
Post a Comment