Friday, May 3, 2013

Dr. King

 My dad just e-mailed this picture to me, and I think it's finally hit me--Seth is finished with his Doctorate!!  I couldn't help but get emotional seeing this--finally, finally, FINALLY!

We went to Salt Lake a couple of weeks ago for Seth to defend his dissertation, and thanks to his wonderful grandma watching the kids, I was able to be there.  He was incredible!  I had such a good time (he was scared to death) hearing him present and watching as those listening to his defense asked him questions and deferred to his knowledge of the subject ("Overcoming Misconceptions in Religious Education: The Effects of Text Structure and Topic Interest on Conceptual Change").  We were amazed--they had very few minor errors for him to correct, and didn't ask for anything to be revised!  After an hour of presentation & questions, they talked for 5 minutes, called us back in, and told him it was official--he is now Dr. King!

Here he is with Dr. Broughton & Dr. Barta, the co-chairs on his committee.
I wish I could have been there today, but since the baby is due next Friday, I figured it would be too much of a risk to travel all the way to Logan.  Of course, we all know this baby will probably come a week late, but it would be Murphy's law that if I had gone, she would have been born on I-15. . . .
Here's Seth with all the kids (minus Evie) and Dr. Broughton.

I am so incredibly proud of my good husband.  He has worked so hard for so many years, has juggled teaching night classes, has served countless hours in his church callings, and has still been an amazing husband and father.  I am so grateful for him.  Isn't he handsome?

 Both sets of our parents made the trip to Logan to see his ceremony and to help with the kids, and his brother Vance (and maybe Brian?  I haven't heard yet if he was able to go) came as well. They were so good to make that sacrifice!

Seth especially wanted the kids to be there and to see him actually be done--they've certainly prayed for it long enough!  They have been little troopers through the whole thing, so I'm glad they were able to go.
Evie & I are sitting here at home, twiddling our thumbs in this quiet house.  She keeps wandering around the rooms, calling for everyone.  I don't think it's ever been just the two of us before!  Let's just hope Seth & the kids get home before we're joined by this new little baby . . . :)

CONGRATULATIONS, SETH!

5 comments:

lisa h. said...

Congrats to Seth!! and to you, I didn't know you guys were expecting! lots of excitement going on at your home!

Momma Kaye said...

In looking at that photo of Seth with Dr. Brouhton, I think it was funny that Seth introduced her as "his academic mother." I'm not sure she considered that a compliment or not. At any rate, we are so very proud of the dedication and marvelous work he has accomplished. It was fun to be there and share it with him.

Bethany L. said...

We are so proud of ALL of you! What a huge accomplishment. Go Seth! {But I can't help wondering what project he's going to take on now.......hmmmmm}

Melissa said...

What exciting news! A huge congratulations. I'm sending you love and best wishes on your anticipated coming arrival.

michelle said...

Jessica, so proud of your and your family for this accomplishment...it really is a family effort! Congratulation on the new baby! I just love reading your blog and keeping up to date on your cute family! Make sure to post pictures of the new baby ;)